Let’s be serious for a moment, 2010 was a year long nightmare. It seems like everything that could have gone wrong did on so many levels and in so many ways, and I don’t just mean personally. But it is a new year, a new beginning, a time to remember that if you spend too much time looking backwards, you miss everything ahead of you, and the things right in front of your face. And that’s why I’ve decided that I’m going to dedicate my time this year to moving forward. I’ve spent so much time sitting on my hands, looking at my feet, or only looking up to check out what’s behind me, I feel like I’ve been missing out. So, I’m standing up now on my own two feet, and I’m going to do something about this life thing everyone keeps talking about. I’ve written down some resolutions and I actually want to keep them, do them, finish them.
RESOLUTIONS: (in no particular order)
01. Quit Smoking – I’ve been smoking for more than eight years now. Its horrible. The cost only gets worse, it makes you smell bad, and its a terrible waste of time. Let’s ignore the health effects for right now (because really, what doesn’t kill you anymore), and focus on the other negatives. I’m already living from paycheck to paycheck in ways that have yet to be defined, I’m a trailblazer that way. On average, I could save myself about two hundred and ten dollars a month, that covers my student loan payments, my cell phone payment (and then some), my cable bill (and then some), two of my credit car payments (and then some), the electric and gas bill (and then some). After a month and a half, I could get that iPod I’ve been wanting. I could do so many activities! Plus I’d smell better, both in my own head as smoking dulls that sense, and I wouldn’t stink to those around me. Plus, heavens, do the math. There’s twenty cigarettes in a pack. Figure there’s five to ten minutes spent smoking. Naturally, I multitask while smoking the majority of the time, but think of all the time I waste smoking. Horrendous!
02. Smile More – I’m turning thirty this year (Goddammit.) and I’m miserable. I’m not the happy-go-lucky Ferg that everyone used to enjoy. I need to get back into doing more of that.
03. Write – This is something I always vow to do and don’t do enough of. People tell me I’m good at it, I don’t particularly disagree. I have a novel started that I’m pretty excited about, a short story started that’s almost done that needs to be finished and submitted in twelve days, and I play far too much Solitare. I want to get published at least five times this year. Granted, it won’t be the novel as its fairly early for that to happen, between finishing the first draft, edits, and the unholy task of finding someone that will print it. But short stories are easier to get written and published. The goal is five. Let’s see how that goes.
04. Listen to More Music – 2010 was kind of a sucky year for music. I can barely piece together a Top 5 album list for the year. Well, let’s see:
01: Diamond Eyes – The Deftones
02: Sigh No More – Mumford & Sons
03: My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy – Kanye West
04: A Thousand Suns – Linkin Park
05: The City that Sleeps – A Silent Film
Okay, so that wasn’t too hard. But I usually have a tough time picking albums out. The Arcade Fire’s Suburbs was a letdown. underOATH’s Disambiguation was a disappointment with Aaron Gillespie’s departure, King’s of Leon’s Come Around Sundown was just okay, and My Chemical Romance’s Danger Days: The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys was terrible at best. Sure, this is all out of my control, but I used to devour music. If it wasn’t good, I’d move on to the next thing without a second thought. I also want to go to more concerts. The following bands are slated to release an album this year: Cage the Elephant, Foo Fighters, R.E.M., Rise Against, Slipknot, Staind, Taking Back Sunday, Death Cab For Cutie, two from U2, Fiona Apple, My Mourning Jacket, System of a Down are getting back together and touring and recording, Seether, Airbourne Toxic Event, Thrice, Marilyn Manson, Blaqk Audio, Limp Bizkit, The Lonely Island, and Radiohead are all promising new music.
05. Go to the Movies – I’m not exactly sure what’s coming out this year beyond what I have on the calendar, but none of it really piques my interest beyond, “Yea, that kind of looks cool.” I’m not really excited about anything until The Dark Knight Rises that won’t see the light of day until 2012. There must be something coming out this year worth seeing. The Adjustment Bureau looks pretty good, The Hangover 2 is hopefully funny, and Cowboys & Aliens looks like a good one, but nothing has made me bounce in my seat yet. I didn’t go to the movies very much last year, and that’s unlike me. I want to fix that.
06. Read More – I have a number of friends getting published this year. Outside of them, I’d like to find new favorite authors, and some authors that aren’t that great. I didn’t do a whole lot of reading in 2010 either. Its really important, and not enough people do it. I should promote its awesomeness by doing more of it.
07. Give Out Fewer Blowjobs – I’m kidding.
I’ll be giving out more.
So, there’s a list of things I want to do before I’m writing another list of promises to break for 2012. They’re definitely doable. Quitting smoking is going to be tough, but it isn’t something I haven’t done before, just, I’d like it to be permanent this time around. And the writing isn’t something I can exactly control. If the words don’t come to me, then they don’t. But I didn’t try too hard last year, either. So, tune in again soon to see how this is all going. In the meantime: